This web site is intended primarily as a resource for Jay and other disaster services workers, and as an informational site for family and friends.
Jay has been a disaster services worker since 2005:
- Palo Alto Area Red Cross, Operations, 2005-2006.
- Los Altos Police Department, CERT, 2006-2010
- Santa Clara County Fire Department, CERT, 2010-2013
- Mountain View Fire Department, CERT. 2013-present.
- Mountain View ARES/RACES, Emergency Radio Communications. 2013-present.
KK6GTM and WQNP913 are the Jay's call signs.
- KK6GTM is an FCC Primary Technician amateur radio license, most commonly known as a HAM licence.
Radios can reach up to 1000 miles and are used as a communications method of "last resort" during disasters when power, internet, phones, and cell towers are all inoperative.
- WQNP913 is an FCC General Mobile Radio (GMRS) license, allowing usage of an FM UHF Radio.
These radios operate at a higher wattage and on additional frequencies than unlicensed "walkie-talkies."